Today on Oh Everything Handmade’s blog I’ll show you “How to make a Garden Fence”. For the past month or so I have been growing some garden tomatoes (successfully). However, after I put some belt pepper seedlings into the ground, I had to find out that our wild rabbit likes the leaves… not good at all! That’s why I haven’t planted my other veggies yet, the fear of Mr. rabbit eating everything before it can even grow was too high!
And that’s where we decided to put up a small garden fence. Now, we didn’t have that many options for the area I have as a garden. My garden has a curve on the left-hand side, which meant that I had to make my own fence.
I took a trip to Lowes and got all this…
DIY // How to make a Garden Fence
What you’ll need for a 10 x 8ft space:
- 2 rolls of 36″ x 15ft black plastic net – ($16.44 each)
- 1 pack of 24 Wood sticks 36″ tall (I found them where the lumber was) – ($11.97)
- 2 hinges (Gate House 50x25mm) – ($2.40)
- 8 screws 1 – 1 1/2″ long
- 1 small door lock (we used a tie for now)
- 1 Staple gun (we already had one)
- 1 Leveler (we already had one)
- 1 Hammer (we already had one)
1. Start by placing a wooden stick on the outside or corner of your garden. My garden is attached to the outside wall of our house, I started there (place the first piece of wood stick as close as you can to your house exterior).
2. Hammer the wooden stick into the ground about 6″-8″ inches deep, you can mark them prior to this step (that’s what we did). But because the ground was sloping on some spots, we had to adjust by hammering the sticks in more or less. So we used a long leveler to keep everything nice and straight.
3. For the next wooden piece, measure 1 1/2 ft in between each stick, this will keep your net tight.
4. If you like to add a door, to your garden area. Make sure to leave some room for it! After the third piece of wood, we added our door…
Read on how to make the fence door at the bottom.
5. Place your door into to ground and continue with placing the remaining wooden sticks into the ground.
6. Once all sticks are in place start by stapling the black net to each wooden piece. You should have someone who can give you a hand for this step. One that stretches the net and one that staples it on, use a hammer to secure the staples!
And that’s it, you are done!
How to make a Garden Fence – Door:
1. Cut or buy 2 pieces of wood 24″ x 1″ inches long and 2 pieces of 30″ x 1″ inches. I used the remaining wood pieces from our wooden pack and hubby just cut them to the length we needed 2 x 24″ pieces and 2 x 30″ pieces.
2. Nail each piece of wood together with screws and staple the black net onto the outside.
3. Attach 2 hinges on each end leaving about 1 – 1 1/2″ inches from the end
4. Screw the other half of your hinges onto a wooden stick, so all you have to do is place the wooden stick into the ground leaving enough room to close and open the door.
This fence is simple, but that’s what we wanted. Something that keeps the rabbit and our dogs out, Hope you enjoyed this tutorial and start one of your own. I’ll be delighted if you share yours.