This post will be a DIY all about “How to Upholster a Coffee Table“. With step by step instructions and images.
The hardest part about this DIY, was to stay out of my comfort zone, which is neutral colors. I wanted to make something bright and colorful. So, I spent almost 2 hours on a Saturday afternoon at Joann’s picking some fabric for this project, what a headache! But, I am glad to have found some outdoor fabric at the end, that was bold and durable, and also over 50% on sale (score…)
Long story short, the entire piece came together; just as I pictured it, and was sold only a few weeks later.
The table I started with!
How to upholster this coffee table
- Stripping old paint off an old furniture piece is crucial, and should be complete to achieve a long-lasting new finish.
- Cleaning the entire piece with a wood stripper will bring out the beautiful natural wood beneath.
- Sanding and dusting off needs to be complete before any paint goes on.
- Paint at least 2-3 coats of interior paint, and wait for 8-24h before applying a clear finish.
- Clean up details (like the brass details on the coffee table) or attach some extra details.
Tools needed to upholster the coffee table cushion:
- Mark the board for the tufted top
- Drill the marks
- Cut out holes where the buttons will sink into.
- Add the foam and batting to the wood board and staple everything in place.
- The foam should overlap the wood board, this way it will have a smooth edge.
- After the batting stapled into place, continue applying the tufted top (see step-by-step animation below)
How to upholster a coffee table – step by step
How to immediately start to upholster a coffee table?
- Find some inspiration for coffee table
- Gather all supplies
- Make time to set up your project
I love me a good makeover project. It sparks my creativity and allows me to relax while working on the project. But the best part is that I feel satisfied once the project is complete.
❑ You love freebies, tips, DIY’s, recipes or home decor.
❑ Want to stay in touch with OEH, and read our posts (each Friday).
❑ Like to get inspired and motivated.
❑ Want to support our blog (please follow us on Facebook & Instagram)