I desiered to be a health-conscious mom. So, I baked a healthy cake for my baby girl’s first birthday, instead of feeding her sugar-filled overprocessed boxed cake mixes.
Exposing her to sugar scared me for several reasons. Some of them are because it is linked to hypertension, depression, cognitive delay, and sleep problems.
Yes, I know, I know …it’s difficult these days to have little ones on a no sugar diet. It seems like most products out there are filled with sugars or preservatives. But, I tell you what it isn’t impossible!
This will be a small contribution to her life, yet it has effectiveness if you stick to no added sugar products. Start here with a simple but better option for your baby’s first cake.
Let’s dive in on “How To Make The Best Healthy Smash Cake For Baby’s First Birthday” with Organic ingredients, and no added sugar.
recipe healthy baby’s first cake
Make A Healthy Smash Cake Instead Of A Box Cake
Step by step instructions:
When I first made this cake, I didn’t have 4″ cake pans, therefore I used what I had which were 8-9″ pans. Once the cake mix is ready, butter the pan’s bottom with vegan butter and pour the cake mix at about 1″ thickness into the pans.
Bake them at 400º for 20 min., and let them cool before cutting and assembling the layers.
Use a storage container to cut out the circles and voilà you’re almost done with the cake.
What to Expect When You’re Done
This healthy baby’s first cake is denser than your store-bought cake, but it is healthier and you don’t have to worry about any unhealthy ingredients.
In fact, it works great as a smash cake for photos and can be eaten as a snack days after. My little ones loved snacking on the cake.
I had all the ingredients except the cream cheese, so the cost for me was super cheap.
Next Steps For You
When you have these supplies on hand, you can make several other Baked goods.
- 4-5 ripe bananas
- ¾ cup organic cinnamon applesauce
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 egg whites beaten (3 egg whites for cupcakes)
- For the frosting:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) cream cheese (if you need to make more frosting, double the ingredients)
- ¼ cup (2 ounces) organic cinnamon applesauce
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Mash the bananas in a medium bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg together.
- Add the mashed bananas, applesauce, and vanilla to the flour mixture. Mix just until incorporated. Beat two egg whites until you receive a cone when pulling out the whisk, fold in carefully the beaten egg whites.
- Spray your 8 or 9″round (6″ pans are perfect for this) pans with non-stick cooking spray or coat with butter and flour.
- Spread the batter into the bottom of both pans.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Cool the cakes, then use an overturned 16oz glade storage round to cut out 4 small cake rounds.
- Prepare the frosting, add in between each layer 2 tbsp. of your cream cheese mixture. When all layers are stacked on top of each other, cover the cake with the remaining frosting and decorate as desired.
For The Frosting:
- Soften the cream cheese.
- Whisk the cream cheese with the applesauce and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Decorate as desired!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 440Saturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 71mgCarbohydrates: 96gFiber: 10gSugar: 25gProtein: 18g
Common Questions & Issues:
- Many of our readers asked me if this cake can be made ahead of time, and my recommendation is to make the cake 24h beforehand.
- Store cake in the fridge and prepare the frosting the day of the celebration. If you don’t have time at all you can apply the frosting a day before but do not add any decorations until 30-60min. of serving.
- If your cake turns out extremely dense, you didn’t whip the egg whites long enough or whipped them too long. Also, incorporate the egg whites gently into the cake mix, you need all that air for the cake.
- If your cake bakes on the outside but is uncooked on the inside, you added too much cake batter/mix to the cake pan.
Hope you enjoy the cake, please share your version of a better cake option with us on IG or Facebook.