Today’s recipe is for all of you out there that haven’t tried Chicken and Waffles yet! Last week I had three of my friends confess that they never tried Chicken and Waffles. I know it’s a Southern thing, I didn’t hear of this combo until my husband and I visited his parents in Texas, this was before we got married. My first Chicken & Waffles was mindblowing, especial because I am German and all I knew at that time was Sauerkraut and Bratwurst with Kartoffel salat. 😉 It’s been 10 years ever since I had my first Chicken & Waffles, and I still love it. So, today I like to share my own Chicken & Waffles Recipe with you. I made this dish kid friendly, but you can always substitute the chicken nuggets with chicken drumsticks to make it even more delicious.
The waffles are amazingly crisp but soft on the inside. I get 12 waffles out of my batter and whatever we have left I freeze and simply reheat them in the toaster for a quick breakfast. And to top it off, I made this simple recipe card for you. Download it at the bottom or click on the image below. The template has two 4×6 recipe cards on it, one for the waffles and one for the nuggets. All you need to do is print the template on cardstock and cut them out.
Best Chicken and Waffles // Recipe Printable Template
Best Chicken and Waffles // Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs (separate yolk and egg white)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup melted butter[br]
- Chicken nuggets
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko
- poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper
- coconut oil, for shallow frying
- Preheat the waffle iron to the regular setting.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cornstarch and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, vanilla, and the egg yolks. Pour over the dry ingredients and very gently stir until halfway combined. Pour in the melted butter and continue mixing with a spatula very gently until combined.
- In a separate bowl using a mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff. Slowly fold them into the batter, stop right before the batter is fully mixed.
- Scoop the batter into your waffle iron in batches and cook according to its directions – you want a crisp and golden brown waffle.
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a large cast-iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat.
- Season the chicken with poultry seasoning and salt & pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Whisk the eggs and add the lightly beaten eggs over the chicken. Mix until every piece of chicken is coated in egg. In a separate bowl add 1 cup of panko, coat each piece of chicken with panko.
- Place the chicken in the hot oil and fry until golden and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side, turning once. Transfer to a rack to cool slightly; discard the oil.
// RECIPE CARD // PIN IT //
You might also like: