Delicious Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (Organic) Recipe with roasted red bell peppers, chickpeas, garlic, and homemade tahini paste.
Ever since I had my daughter Jasmine (5 years ago), I have become obsessed with organic foods. What we eat is important to me, so I try to provide my family with clean and healthy foods.
Hummus is one of those recipes that we just can’t without. And after falling in love with how easy it is to make hummus at home, I decided to share my Delicious Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (Organic version) Recipe with you.
Delicious Roasted Red Pepper Hummus – (Organic Version)
This recipe uses organic canned chickpeas, but you can just as easily use your own home-cooked chickpeas.
Did you know you can make tahini at home? It’s very simple and lasts up to a month in your fridge. Here’s our recipe, which makes enough tahini for two batches of our hummus: Simple Tahini Recipe.
Now let’s get started to make the Delicious Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (Organic) recipe.
How to Roast Peppers
Feel free to use jarred roasted peppers for this recipe, if you don’t want to or don’t have the time to roast your own peppers. If you do wish to roast your own peppers, to make things simple, we like to cut the peppers in half & spray them with Organic Extra virgin Olive Oil. You can remove the core now or after broiling.
This way, the peppers can be placed skin-side up, on a baking sheet. Slide them under the broiler and broil until the pepper skin has charred (5-10 minutes).
After that remove the peppers from the baking sheet and set them aside in a plastic Tupperware for 15minutes. The steam helps the skin pull away from the pepper — making it extra easy to peel.
Preparing the Hummus
In the food processor, combine lemon juice & tahini paste. Process for 1 minute. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, then turn on and process for additional 30 seconds.
Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin and the salt to whipped tahini and lemon juice. Process for 30 seconds, scrape sides and bottom of the bowl then process another 30 seconds.
Adding the Chickpeas
Open a can of chickpeas, drain the liquid then rinse well with water. Add half of the chickpeas to the food processor then process for 1 minute.
Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl, add remaining chickpeas and process until thick and smooth.
Slice the peppers in smaller pieces and add to the hummus, continue to process for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.
Chop reserved pepper. Then, scrape the hummus into a bowl, make a small well in the middle and add chopped peppers.
- 2 whole red bell peppers (substitute with 3/4 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers)
- 1 (15-ounce) [url href=”https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LKZLQW/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=oheverhand-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000LKZLQW&linkId=aedfb20157c1f6e492b2b2fd502ef5a0″ target=”_blank”]can chickpeas[/url] or 1 1/2 cups (250 grams) cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) tahini, see our [url href=”http://oheverythinghandmade.com/simple-tahini-recipe” target=”_blank”]homemade tahini recipe[/url]
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons [url href=”https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QGWM5HC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=oheverhand-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00QGWM5HC&linkId=a65ae4259d9b6c8189a4d2903d63e9f7″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]organic extra-virgin olive oil[/url]
- 1/2 teaspoon [url href=”https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WS3AJS/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=oheverhand-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000WS3AJS&linkId=0d116e54adf8cafed8518292caf92c7f” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]Organic ground cumin[/url]
- Salt to taste
// PIN IT //