I haven’t posted a recipe in quite some time! But when I finished our dinner yesterday I decided to share it. I love comfort food, and especially when it’s quick and simple to make. Anyway, today’s dish is simple, that’s for sure. However, it needs a little bit of time to bake! But at least you don’t have to stand around in the kitchen while it does so.
Southern food makes me think of heart disease and grease, with all the frying and butter that is used in lots of dishes. I’m European and didn’t grow up with that kind of cooking. Nakia on the other hand, is from the south and would eat comfort food at any day or time. This is basically where the world split in half, and I have to be creative when making a southern style dish that we all can enjoy.
By creative I mean, turning it into a healthier dish! Don’t be afraid, it will be delicious.
Our dinner yesterday, was a “Fried Chicken and fully loaded baked potato” swapped out with baked Chicken, potato wedges and steamed veggies. Am I teasing you? I bet I am!!! But, honestly jokes aside. We would have loved us some fried chicken with that oh so darn good baked potato, I just like to think that by swapping out small things like this dish, will make a big difference in the long run.
In case you are making this dish tonight for your family, please share it with us on instagram with the hashtag #oheverythingfood and by tagging @oheverythinghandmade. Bon Apetit
- 4-5 chicken drumsticks
- 5 small-medium potatoes
- 1 frozen bag of mixed vegetable
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp Butter
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. herbs de provence
- 2 tsp. garlic powder or 2 tsp. minced garlic
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Wash the chicken drumsticks and pad them dry. Season with 1 tbsp. paprika, salt, 1 tsp. herbs de provence and 1 tsp. garlic powder or minced garlic (you can also add the chicken to a ziplock bag and season them while in the bag). When the chicken is complete covered in seasoning, brush ⅛ cup canola oil onto the chicken or if you use a ziplock, shake the bag until well distributed.
- Let the chicken rest, while you prepare the potatoes.
- Wash and cut the potatoes into wedges, place them into a medium bowl, season with the remaining seasoning, cover and shake them until everything is covered in seasoning and oil. Lay the chicken (skin side up) and the potatoes onto backing sheets that are covered with parchment paper. Than place the potatoes to the lower rack in your oven, and the chicken on the upper rack (about in the middle of the oven). Bake everything for 1 hour.
- minutes into baking turn the chicken and the wedges.
- Melt the butter in a pot, add the frozen veggies, cover and let them steam until tender.
- The last 8 minutes turn the chicken skin side up, set your oven to broil and bake the remaining minutes or until the skin is golden brown.