Laundry detergent! Is one of those essentials we just can’t go without, right? I have two little ones that get dirty just by eating breakfast, and the husband works out and sweats a lot. So, my piles of laundry never fade. On top of that, it’s important to me to use natural ingredients for clean around the house.
Although I love my old detergent – I think it is time to create a more affordable and convenient detergent. Why convenient? Since we moved to Japan, it has become a drag to receive packages from the states. I have to wait 45+ days to receive my Honest Company detergent. No, thank you. I am ready to move on.
I searched the web for useful, affordable and natural detergent alternatives. After my search was complete, I was able to pull ingredients from a few recipes and created my own. Let’s not overlook that I want clean, good smelling clothing, without the toxic ingredients. The best part of this laundry detergent recipe is that you can mix the batch in just 5 minutes.
When I made my first batch of this laundry detergent recipe, I wanted to incorporate a bar of soap that is skin friendly so it wouldn’t bother my kids. I have used the Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps Pure-Castile Soap for years now and love it. It was a no-brainer to incorporate it! Here are some great facts about the soap.
- All Natural Organic Certified Ingredients; biodegradable; Packaged In (10% Hempflax / 90% Post-Consumer Recycled Paper); No Animal Testing And Cruelty-Free
- Top Selling Natural Soap In The USA
- Cleans Body And Leaves Skin Beautified With Its Soft Lather; Great For Shaving
- Lavender And Lavandin Oil Creates A Soothing And Harmonizing Bathing Experience; Replenish Body & Soul
- Great For Camping; Backpacking; Traveling
MY FIRST LOAD OF LAUNDRY TEST
I added Lavender Essential Oils to my first load of laundry (my kids colored clothing, included stains from foods and also crafts – spaghetti sauce & glitter glue).
The laundry was washed with a new top load Whirlpool machine (older model). The clothes came out smelling incredible, clean, and after I dried them with my dryer balls (see tutorial HERE) they were super soft and seemed vibrant.
- 2 lbs 6 oz of Borax = 1/2 box of Borax 76 oz.
- 2 boxes of Baking Soda 1lbs each
- 1 Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps Pure-Castile Soap
- optional Essential Oils
- Big bowl to mix ingredients in
- Big glass jar for storing homemade laundry detergent
- 1/8 measuring cup
- Add the Borax and baking soda into a big bowl.
- Grate your bar of soap into the Borax & Baking Soda mix.
- Mix well.
- Use 1/8 cup per load.
- Optional – add 20 drops of Essential Oils to each 1/8 cup. (right before adding to the laundry)
You can also download the ready made Recipe card right here. I made a pdf with two cards on it, so you can save one for yourself and share one with a friend.
I made this banner below, for easy pinning. Please feel free to share and try my 5 minute Laundry Detergent.
PIN OUR RECIPE